Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Watercoloring Wednesday

Hey Stamping Friends,

Watercoloring is very popular right now, and I will be honest, I am no artist but I wanted to try my hand with it too. All the samples I see always look so beautiful and soft, and I think that really is the idea behind watercolor. It is to give you an idea of the image without all the harsh lines and detail.  So here is my very first Watercolor card.
So as I said, I am NOT an artist so I can't just put to paper an image I see in my head.  To help me along, I heat embossed my image with Stampin'Up! Iridescent Ice embossing powder onto some water color paper.  The image is clear with a bit of sparkle in it.  After it cooled, I took my aqua painter and wet the inside of the stamped image, this allowed for the ink to blend itself.  A little tip...the ink will only travel as far as you have wet the image.  So using Pacific Point ink I continued to drop in color on the inside of the butterfly and then pulled the color to the outside edges with my aqua painter.  To help give some depth to the clear embossing, I took my Basic Grey ink and outlined the image to help make the embossing pop.  I finished off with a Silver embossed greeting from the Flower Patch stamp set and my card is done.  It is so soft and subtle in person, this image doesn't do it justice.  I will have to say, I am hooked.  This card was so easy and took very little time to create, but provides a very elegant feel.

I can't wait to watercolor more images.  Maybe I will make this a regular segment on the blog.  You can purchase any of these supplies by clicking the links below.  Just a note, the butterfly image comes from the Best of Butterflies that is no longer available by Stampin'Up, but this technique can easily be used with the largest image from the Papillon Potpourri stamp set.

Thanks for stopping by and hope you will come again.  Until next time...

Cindy


No comments:

Post a Comment